Friday, December 11, 2009

Excepting Responsibility

It seems that a lot of people don’t want to accept responsibility for their actions. Hardly a day goes by that I don’t witness this first hand or at least hear about it happening. Blaming others for your actions is a way of never having to admit that you did anything wrong. I think people feel they must do this in order to make themselves feel confident in their daily decisions. This is wrong in many ways yet for most people it is part of their everyday lives.

I never really thought about why not excepting responsibility was wrong until I had kids. When my kids reached a certain age they wanted answers to why things are the way the way are. I would tell them when they did something wrong that they had to tell me about it and they would answer with the simple question of “why”. As a parent, I realized that the answers I gave them would mold them into the adult they would become. It was then that the true meaning of why not accepting responsibility came to me. If you never admit that you did anything wrong then you will never learn from your mistakes.

Mistakes happen for a reason, which makes it ok to make a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes at one time or another. How mistakes are dealt with is the key to avoiding making the same mistake twice. After all, that’s why we study history. Always try to remember that when a mistake is made excepting responsibility is the only correct way to deal with it or another mistake will be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment